Monday, April 16, 2012

Half painted Wooden Beads

Apparently I'm all about the wooden bead necklaces these days. I posted about one using hex nuts a few weeks ago, and now I've fallen for this half painted necklace from Laura Parke. Just take a peek:


Isn't it lovely? I really like the little pops of colour against the neutral light wood beads and how they are strung together. I think it would be fun to use some of the hot spring colours (mint, coral, mustard) to make one heck of a trend forward accessory! I'd also recommend a light coat of varnish for these for necklace longevity and I'd switch the necklace chain out for some budget friendly waxed cotton! Okay, so apparently I've given this tutorial a fair amount of thought - now to get me some supplies! What do you think? Want to join me?

7 comments:

  1. I can't quite get behind the wooden beads, but these colors are awesome! I love the half-painted look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this on her, and you seem to pull off these kinds of jewels too.
    I think if I was doing it I would make the beads smaller and not matte. I would also try to bring in softer elements (like stringing them on a piece of ribbon...and there I go making completely NOT what was intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is super extra awesome! Let's make them when I come visit! If they're varnished it wouldn't matter if my kid chewed on it while I'm wearing it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it! But chunky jewellery does not really suit me, so I would probably make the beads smaller. I like how when the painted halves of the beads come together, the neutral colour of beads kind of fades out and you get an ... urgh ... French word that I can't think of right now! Do you know what I mean? It's like an optical illusion, but it's not that word. Le sigh. I'm going to be thinking about this all day now! ~_^

    ReplyDelete